Western Southern Tier Building Officials
General Meeting Minutes
December 13th, 2018
- Meeting called to order: Quorum: Yes Time: 12:00 PM
- Approval of previous meeting minutes,
2nd by: Allan Zurawski
Motion by: Larry Barter
2nd by Jeff Paddock
- Education Committee Report: Larry Barter/OFPC gave a report on a class given concerning Fire Alarms & Sprinkler Systems.
- Reported on directions fire departments should be taking with regards to inspections of these systems. Local systems have been overlooked as to inspections on a regular basis.
- The installation of fire alarms is a regulated licensed one. Fire alarms must be certified by local authorities.
- If there is a fire alarm system in place it has to be working.
- If there is a sprinkler system in place it should be working or notice of malfunction noted.
- Department of State:
- NYSBOC report – Chris Dean
- Membership 1855 this year 1868 Last year.
- Annual business meeting coming up members will be notified as to where and when.
- Bylaws – no report
- Codes- will be coming out in June this year, will be implemented in October.
- Edu Comm – No report
- Emergency CEDAR report – In 2018 there were 3 deployments
- CEDAR has been added as a vital part of the States Emergency Response Plan
- State working on employee release plan for local municipalities
- EMAC Comm with ICC working on Interstate development plan
- Good & Welfare – No report
- ICC – Dottie Conference in Las Vegas – Building Safety Month theme is “No Codes – No Confidence”
- Legislative / Tech Comm. Working with local Home Depot and Local Stores to set up sessions on delivery of local codes- sponsoring by ICC Chapters only.
- NYSDOS working on having the point of ordering for code books to be NYSBOC should be cheaper for chapters.
- Aprils ICC meeting – all 12 state employees will attend.
- No More Supplement! – The state is working on software for online use of NYS ICC Code with a walk thru check list the will be completely paperless.
- Staffing levels will increase 4 to 5 for the next year.
- Variance program, importance of having full boards – working on members to fill positions.
- Code Council:
- Does your community budget for new books?
- Is the ecode a waste of money?
- PDF as opposed to e-codes, what’s better?
- ICC will be publishing a NYS embedded code for purchase.
- NYS will have the code ready in mid Oct2019 and there will be a 90Day course over.
- NYSDOS reports there are 50 communities that have opted out of having CEO’s
- Education – there will be a new trainer for development.
- Website: Meeting minutes and Conference updates are on Website.
- Old Business:
- Changing the Elections to October
- Bylaws – Al Gustafson & John Dean
- New Business: Elections of board members for 2019
Report from election comm: JCD and JC: present slate of candidates are.
Alan Gustafson - President
David Rowe – Vice President
Allan Zurawski – Treasurer
Chris Dean – Secretary
Larry Barter asks for the Secretary to cast a single ballot for the slate of candidates.
Chris Dean cast a single ballot, all accepted – Passed
Discussion for more classes from Mr. Malcomb on law, Newport Ventures on Energy codes.
Discussed more training throughout the year at monthly meetings.
Plans and Energy Codes
Plan review – DOS – Energy Code review – Building plan review
Work on uniformed applications with check list.
Form a committee to develop the form process.
Jeff Swanson call for a motion, seconded by Larry Barter. Vote passed
WSTBOA will have a development committee for uniform process.
Motion – Ryan Mourer, sec – Larry Barter accepted adjourned 12:42pm